In such areas, extra financial inducements were offered by the British government to assist companies wishing to relocate.As a result, in 1961, the BMC—which consisted of the merged Austin Motor Company and Morris Motors—located a new truck and tractor plant in Bathgate rather than expanding their Longbridge plant as originally planned. On 24 March 1986, the Bathgate-Edinburgh railway line was re-opened to passengers for the first time since the 1950s. Other Bathgate online dating sites charge for memberships, we are 100% free for everything.No catch, no gimmicks, find a single man here for free right now.Batket in the 14th century, and by the 15th appeared as both Bathgat and Bathcat, the latter an offshoot of Uchtred Dalrymple's feudial lineage, which ruled during ancient times. It is recorded that, around 1160, Uchtred Dalrymple, Sherriff of Linlithgow, and Geoffrey de Melville came to Bathgate at the command of King Malcolm IV and measured out an area of land which was to form the basis of Bathgate Parish.The name is a "manifest corruption" of an earlier Cumbric name meaning 'Boar Wood' (cf. The church and all its associate property were placed under the auspices of Holyrood Abbey at that time and paid a tenth of its income from the land to that institution.Bathgate first enters the chronicles of history in a confirmation charter by King Malcolm IV of Scotland (1141 – 9 December 1165).
the US company Motorola opened a mobile phone manufacturing (Personal Communications Sector or PCS) plant at Easter Inch in Bathgate (now the Pyramids Business Park).Bathgate remained a very small rural community until the middle of the 19th century with only a foray by Covenanters in the 17th century to unrest the populace.Francis Groome, in the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882–84) writes: Some of the inhabitants suffered hardship and loss in the times of the persecution; and the insurgent army of the Covenanters, when on their march from the W to Rullion Green, spent a disastrous night at Bathgate. Established around 1800, the Glenmavis Distillery in Bathgate was purchased in 1831 by one John Mc Nab, who produced the eponymous Mac Nab's Celebrated Glenmavis Dew from the site until the distillery's closure in 1910.In the 1846 book A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis writes: Of this ancient castle, some slight traces of the foundations only are discernible, in a morass about a quarter of a mile [400 m] from the town, in which, though it has been drained and brought into cultivation, kitchen utensils of brass, and coffins rudely formed of flat stones, have been discovered by the plough Dating from around the same time the remains of Bathgate's former parish church still stand at Kirkton.
The original 12th-century construction was absorbed by a later build in 1739 when a new church was erected on the same site. This simple whitewashed edifice served the community until its last service on 9 April 1882.
A report that Dalzell was approaching drove them from Lanark to Bathgate, where, on the evening of Monday the 26th, the wearied army stopped. In 1885, the distillery was producing 80,000 gallons of single malt a year which was transported to Scotland, England and the colonies. Designed by the Edinburgh architects R & R Dickson this is Bathgate's only large public building of historic merit.